The Development and Communications Director plays a key role in maintaining the organization’s overall budget and in growing our funding base, primarily through grant writing and major donor outreach. The position reports to the Executive Director and provides guidance in all aspects of the department. We are looking for an individual passionate about conservation and who is excited to join a hard-working, mission-driven team. The Director of Development and Communication works with program staff and coordinates funding needs and priorities, and identifies potential grant sources and major donor prospects. This requires tracking grant opportunities and focus areas, and an understanding of the organization’s science and education projects in order to package grant funding and major donor proposals. The ideal candidate will share a commitment to the protection of wildlife and our shared environment.
- Work with the Executive Director in developing priorities, goals, and strategies.
- Work with the Executive Director on identifying and cultivating donors to increase overall donor base, including donor correspondence, meetings, and appreciation events.
- Oversight of major donor and planned giving programs
- Oversight of annual fundraising programs including annual campaigns, fundraising events, donor appeal letters, and community outreach events.
- Maintain and update potential and current donor information in CiviCRM
- Actively research government, foundation, and corporate grant opportunities for existing and new program areas.
- Engage with program officers at organizations to solicit invitations to submit proposals.
- Prepare, package, and submit all components of grants in accordance with granting agency requirements. Work with program staff to ensure deliverables and grant completion. Responsible for all post-award grant administration and reporting.
- Maintain grant tracking calendar including funding contacts, grant reports, and deadlines.
- Develop and adhere to the department's annual plan and budget.
- Manage Development and Communications Coordinator position.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (journalism, communications, marketing)
- 3-5 years experience in grant writing, donor management, and other fundraising
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven track record in meeting fundraising and organizational goals
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to read, analyze, write, and edit grants, reports, social media posts, press releases and correspond with external businesses, community members, and media.
- Functional knowledge of social media management.
- Must possess efficient time management skills to consistently meet deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking and research skills required, with ability to collect and conceptualize data. Problem solving and reasoning skills are necessary to analyze data and draw valid conclusions.
- Computer proficiency, particularly with Microsoft, Adobe and Google, and experience developing and utilizing spreadsheets; website management experience preferred.
- Experience in a nonprofit environment is preferred.
- Familiarity with fundraising techniques and strategies preferred.