Classification: Temporary/Seasonal Positions
Location: Northeastern Utah
Start Date: March 9, 2022
Last Date to Apply: January 24, 2022
HawkWatch International (HWI) is seeking one experienced field technician to assist with spring field work from mid-March to early May (8-9 weeks). Exact start and end dates are somewhat flexible. The primary duty will be conducting greater sage-grouse lek counts and golden eagle surveys as part of a collaborative study focused on golden eagle-sage-grouse predation. Other duties include collecting eagle fecal and feather samples, conducting rabbit surveys, investigating sage-grouse mortalities, and entering data. The technician will be required to conduct daily fieldwork starting before dawn. Surveys will require attention to detail, following a detailed data collection protocol, and strong observational skills. Observational surveys will be conducted from a provided vehicle.
Field work will take place in northeastern Utah. The study area has many recreational opportunities and is located near Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area and Dinosaur National Monument. During the field season, the technician will stay in a rustic trailer with one other person. Camping may also be required. Spring weather in northeastern Utah can be highly variable with strong winds, snow, rain, and cold temperatures.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys – especially for golden eagles, other raptors, and/or sage-grouse.
- Previous experience working on observational studies.
- Attention to detail, a keen eye for searching, and excellent note-taking skills.
- Ability to maintain focus and a positive attitude during long observation periods.
- Ability to work independently and follow detailed data collection protocols.
- Experience operating 4x4 vehicles on unmaintained roads.
- Experience with basic vehicle maintenance and repair (changing tires, getting unstuck from mud, etc.).
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Experience getting along with others in tight quarters.
- Experience camping in harsh weather conditions.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet project needs.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three references in a single PDF to Tori Thorpe at . Applications must be submitted by January 24, 2022 and will be reviewed as they are received.